What is really needed first, what is better to buy used (if you care for money) are all very common questions.
The following is my set of recommendations, which will be updated as we move along in our experience (writing this 1st version when our sweeties are 2 weeks old):
PURCHASE UPFRONT - MUST HAVE:
- Infant car seats or convertibles - Most parents for twins purchase
- 1+ crib - Not necessary to buy more than one at first, but recommended. Even if you co-bed, even if you have an attached bed, you do NOT want to shop for a crib while they're already with you. It will be too late to decide on your budget and taste. A good used crib can be a good choice, make sure that it's well built, and that you can easily take down and up one of its sides to more easily replace diapers. Most cribs allow you to change the height of the mattress so the crib can be used further along when the babies are larger.
- 8+ receiving blankets - They tend to get dirty when they pee/poo on them, babies spit on them etc. You gotta have enough to survive a reasonable laundry cycle
- Vaselin - if baby/ies are planned for circumcision. You'll need some extra even if the hospital gives you some.
- Nose drops for babies - To solve these weird sounds they're making from their stuffed noses :-)
- Cloths - Look for a local twins club. Ours which is great (MPPOM) has a Preemie Closet - so we ended up just taking the donated cloths. Nevertheless, you must have cloths - you'll need some T-shirts, onesies etc. At least 4-5 of each item since they get dirty very quickly in feedings at night...
PURCHASE UPFRONT - NICE TO HAVE:
- Nursing chair/glider - A very nice bonus to a busy and tired mommy for twins. We ended up interested in a Dutailier, a Canadian brand-name, most expensive choice you can make. Problem - it's a made-to-order, imported, with 8-12 weeks delivery time. Order upfront, do NOT wait to the last moment like we did. Babies-R-Us do carry ones, but they still need to ship to the store from their main stock if they don't have one in their local stock (takes 7-14 days).
- Mobile/s for crib/s or changing table - Can be used to relax them. I found out that it's a very common gift, so better wait and see if anyone gives you one already.